Re: speakup enabled d-i?

On Wednesday 10 September 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> That's the mini.iso for i386. Somehow we have grown by 2MB, over 35%!
> We really should do an analysis of exactly where this increase comes
> from.

The increase of the netboot images is actually fairly easy to explain.
Uncompressed the initrd in 3800kB bigger.
-5544	./lib/modules
+8496	./lib/modules

So, 2950 of that is kernel modules and can be explained mostly by the
addition of USB and wireless NIC drivers.

The size increase of the initrd for cdrom images is less dramatic:
etch:	3835432
daily:	4309551
So, 0.45MB compressed.

I would still argue for adding speakup only to the G-I images and would
even suggest removing brltty from the regular images. That would make the
G-I images the "graphical+accessibility" installer.

We could combine that with making the graphical installer the default
version of the installer for Lenny (i.e: the top choice in cases where
both are available). I think all issues that blocked that switch have
been solved now.

For Squeeze we could even consider changing the current "regular" images
to special "lowmem" images. After all, we can also offer D-I with the
newt frontend by booting the *G-I initrd* with the "DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt"
option.

Cheers,
FJP