Re: Debian installer and braille

Hello,

Frans Pop, le Fri 20 Jun 2008 22:27:08 +0200, a écrit :
> On Thursday 19 June 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Frans Pop, le Wed 07 May 2008 12:38:56 +0200, a écrit :
> > >
> > > Please submit a patch.
> >
> > Would it be ok to make the text frontend depend on ncurses, in order to
> > make it generic?
>
> My first reaction would be: no.
>
> The text frontend is for example used on dumb terminals for s390. Would
> that still work correctly?

Ncurses is precisely there for that: doing things if they are possible,
how they are possible.

> The second reason not to do it is that it is used very little and I see no
> point in adding a dependency and a library and thus increasing initrd
> sizes without an extremely good reason to do so.

Thinking twice about it, the case is possibly very rare indeed.
The case at stake would be colorblind people who would use speech
assistance.  What we can do is to hardcode the linux and bterm values
and use them when TERM matches them (i.e. we are sure to be running a
usual Linux console).