Re: Debian installer and braille

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Frans Pop, le Wed 07 May 2008 12:38:56 +0200, a écrit :
> > On Sunday 04 May 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > About the dark theme, it would probably be useful to make the text
> > > lightwhite (CGA color 0x15), not only white/grey (CGA color 0x7)?
> >
> > Please submit a patch.
>
> Would it be ok to make the text frontend depend on ncurses, in order to
> make it generic?

My first reaction would be: no.

The text frontend is for example used on dumb terminals for s390. Would
that still work correctly?

The second reason not to do it is that it is used very little and I see no
point in adding a dependency and a library and thus increasing initrd
sizes without an extremely good reason to do so.

That said, I basically have not looked into this and haven't got a clue
what ncurses actually does, but IMO providing that info and convincing us
is up to you, not me :-)

Cheers,
FJP