Re: tasksel-data: Add an "Accessibility" task

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Package: tasksel-data
> Severity: normal
>
> Hello,
>
> It has been suggested that tasksel could have an "accessibility" tasks,
> which would automatically install e.g. the gnome-orca package and other
> accessibility-related packages.

gnome-orca, gok and dasher are all installed automatically if
you install the "gnome" metapackage.  At least this is what
happened last time I ran "apt-get install gnome" on sid.

If a braille display user used brltty in d-i, brltty is already
installed automatically.  So, in theory, if you use
d-i with brltty, and select the GNOME desktop environment, you
should have a running brltty, and an installed (not configured yet) gnome-orca
package on your target system.

Given this, do we really need a meta package which would have
the problem of not being specific about what technology the
user actually needs?  If the major desktops are going the
route of integrating accessibility by default, it
seems like pointless to have a meta package depending on each and
every accessibility component.  I dont see many use cases for it.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>