Re: [Kenny Hitt] Re: Is Debian appropriate for accessibility?

Mario Lang wrote:
Henrik: Since Ubuntu is still syncing with sid from time to time (at least
thats the latest info I have) would it be possible to get
some sort of an automatic notification system going between our two
Accessibility projects?
Yes, there is such a system in place. It's been made opt-in rather than fully automatic for Debian Developers, since not everyone wants it.

Our patches relative to debian are here: https://patches.ubuntu.com/

And information about Ubuntu specifically written for Debian Developers is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuForDebianDevelopers

I would even volunteer to be the recipient for such information
and handle the forwarding into the Debian BTS if necessary.

Yes, that would be great. I don't think we should inject anything into the Debian BTS automatically. That would be very controversial.

I am not sure, I think it has more to do with the fact that Ubuntu
has some paid staff, while Debian only consists of volunteers.

That is probably part of it, though it doesn't explain everything. I would estimate that at least 50% of our paid core developers have at some stage contributed to improving accessibility in Ubuntu. And by that I mean making changes that go beyond simply packaging upstream accessibility tools. I'm the only one of us who has time allocated to it formally, but everyone contributes where it's needed.

Another rough estimate is that 5%-10% of the specs we process for a given release are accessibility related and roughly 5% of our single installable CD is various AT tools.

We also have an accessibility team of mostly volunteers with 45 members: https://launchpad.net/~accessibility so it's not just the paid staff.
Accessibility is the sort of thing no one cares about,
except they need it, or they get paid for working on it.
I don't think our developers would agree with that. It has taken some time to raise people's conciousness of these topics in Ubuntu, because people simply don't know the issues.

I think that process still needs to happen in Debian. I can help you get it started if you want.

Henrik