Re: Festival and OSS/ALSA (was: [Kenny Hitt] Re: Is Debian appropriate for accessibility?)

2006/12/21, Milan Zamazal <pdm@freebsoft.org>:

- Tell all applications to use ALSA instead of OSS.

I tell them, but some of them won't listen :-)
Has a  list of these applications  been considered? For instance in
the field I work, education, audacity is considered "the audio
editor". Could audacity be patched or should it be substituted by an
alsa capable editor and recorder?

  use the aoss wrapper.  Install the alsa-oss package
- Remove the oss emulation kernel modules in order to prevent OSS
  applications hijacking your sound device.

From the point of view of an end-user this is contradictory. It's
alsa-oss that installs both aoss and the oss-compatibility modules. If
you install it you get both, is there a configuration central point to
state that you don't want oss-compatibility? (anyway as a especial
end-user I have moved away the oss modules and restarted).

  (There's no need to arrange this in Speech Dispatcher as Speech
  Dispatcher uses Festival only for synthesizing the sound, not playing
  it.)

Now I understand what speech-dispatcher does! Thank you.

- Enforce using dmix system-wide.  I do this by putting something like
  the following into /etc/asound.conf:

If an end-user needs to hand-write an asound.conf configuration then
alsa in Debian is buggy (wasn't the whole discover+udev etc. system
designed to work out of the box?).
Besides, I see you can control the permissions from that file, which
breaks the idea that all users belonging to group audio are able to
listen and create sound.

Anyway I copied your example before restarting.

Now spd-say works (somehow). But I still have some doubts:
1.- Why two festival servers? or are they threads?
2.- the language parameter in spd-say doesn't work (neither "-l
spanish" nor "-l es"). I always get the English voice with festival
output.

--
Juan Rafael Fernández
http://people.ofset.org/jrfernandez/