Re: Festival and OSS/ALSA

    jrf> 2006/12/21, Milan Zamazal <pdm@freebsoft.org>:
    >> - Tell all applications to use ALSA instead of OSS.

    jrf> I tell them, but some of them won't listen :-) Has a list of
    jrf> these applications been considered? For instance in the field I
    jrf> work, education, audacity is considered "the audio
    jrf> editor". Could audacity be patched or should it be substituted
    jrf> by an alsa capable editor and recorder?

I don't know, I'm just an end user in this area as you are.

    >> use the aoss wrapper.  Install the alsa-oss package - Remove the
    >> oss emulation kernel modules in order to prevent OSS applications
    >> hijacking your sound device.

    jrf> From the point of view of an end-user this is
    jrf> contradictory. It's alsa-oss that installs both aoss and the
    jrf> oss-compatibility modules. If you install it you get both, is
    jrf> there a configuration central point to state that you don't
    jrf> want oss-compatibility? (anyway as a especial end-user I have
    jrf> moved away the oss modules and restarted).

alsa-oss doesn't install any kernel modules.  It's user-level OSS
emulation.  Unlike OSS emulation in kernel alsa-oss cooperates with ALSA
libraries, so it works with dmix.

    >> - Enforce using dmix system-wide.  I do this by putting something
    >> like the following into /etc/asound.conf:

    jrf> If an end-user needs to hand-write an asound.conf configuration

The file can be edited only by system administrator.

    jrf> Why two festival servers? or are they threads?

The Festival server forks on each connection in order to prevent
conflicts between separate connections.

    jrf> 2.- the language parameter in spd-say doesn't work (neither "-l
    jrf> spanish" nor "-l es"). I always get the English voice with
    jrf> festival output.

The language code for Spanish is not present in the language-codes
Festival variable.  Look into festival-freebsoft-utils source and/or
read festival-freebsoft-utils documentation to figure out how to fix it.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal