Re: a blindunfriendly Sarge installer problem

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 07:04:45AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Cc'ing again the list
>
> > The thing to do is just like unde Mandriva, (or Knoppix): being able to
> > pass params to the kernel of the installer so that you have braille
> > support while installing,
> > + the useful+permanent toolbar who tells were the cursor is near.
> >
> > In general braille is the prime interface for us since it is more
> > universal than speech.
>

> Well then you got the answer in the thread:
>
> -immediately mounting a floppy is the consequence of the kernel
>  modularization which, for obvious reasons, is not likely to be
>  reverted
>
> -the only work that happened was the work on speech interface. This is
>  probably infortunate for the reasons you explained
>
> So, getting support for brltty devices seems to be the way to
> go. Fine. Now we need someone to work on it. Especially now, the
> manpower on D-I is relatively low, so current contributors are not
> very likely to have time....and knowledge...to work on this.

Maybe ze cqn do this at the Oldenbourg meeting ?  Or at least a first step to
it.

Do we have brltty .udebs, would building images which include it or include it
by default not solve the floppy issue, and we can then sort out the other
issues as they show up ? I bet those are rather fine-tuning issues, but if we
use the text interface they could also just plain work.

Osvaldo, would you volunteer to (co-) maintain the brltty-udeb package and
test it out or something such ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther