Re: Console Access with Speech, Even During Install?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:55:21PM +0300, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
> Kenny Hitt wrote:
> >Space is limited on an installer disk,
> Well not so limited in USB mass storage, zip drives or CD-ROMS.

Yes it is.  Consider you will have to add the software to get access to
the install to a standard install disk for the Distro.  That means you
will have to remove something from the disk to make room.  Speakup with
software speech will need several meg to work.  Speakup with hardware
speech only needs a few hundred K.

> >so software speech is just to large to easily fit.
> Aren't there any soft synths for LInux that would be tiny in size? In stead
> of using human samples, you'd generate all output on the fly synthetically.

The smallest usable software synth I know about for Linux is the
commercial software DECtalk.  Since speakup uses speech-dispatcher to
talk to software synths, you will still have the overhead from it as
well as the DECtalk.  The speakup project has a small software synth
called tux-talk that will work directly with speakup.  Unfortunately, it
isn't usable yet.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny