Re: Gnopernicus package for Gnome 2.8

Kenny Hitt <kenny@hittsjunk.net> writes:

> Hi.  I've watched my Sid boxes get upgraded to Gnome 2.8 over the last
> week.  So far, I haven't seen Gnopernicus get upgraded.  Is the package
> still stuck in experimental?

Nope, I'm working on it, but something yet undetermined is severly broken
with the 0.9.17 sources + the packages currently in sid.  I get very
slow speech, a ton of warnings regarding some property not
found (but no indication as to which one) and brlapi initialisation
silently fails.  So pretty much nothing works yet.

> When libgnome-mag1 got upgraded, my Gnopernicus 0.84 stopped
> working.

Ouch, well, I forgot about this one.

> I would like to know if I should just wait a few days or go ahead
> and build Gnopernicus from source.

You can do either of both things :-).  I am working on the 0.9.17 package,
but I can't upload it yet since it isn't ready.  If you find out why
a straight source upgrade from 0.8.4 to 0.9.17 + copying ttybrl.c
From 0.8.4 to 0.9.17 sources doesn't work at all, let me know.

> I don't want to build Gnopernicus from source if I can avoid it
> because I was getting good results with the Gnome 2.6 and
> Gnopernicus 0.8.4 packages in Debian.

Well, we should probably file a pseudo RC bug on gnome-mag or so to
prevent it from slipping into sarge in case we can't work out the
breakage before the release.  Anyway, highest priority is getting
the 0.9.17 package working and out the door.

--
CYa,
  Mario