Re: speakup Debian installer

Kenny Hitt <kenny@hittsjunk.net> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 08:26:27AM -0500, kenny wrote:
>> Hi.  I remember recently seeing message from people who going to work on
>> getting a speakup modified Debian installer included in the next
>> release.  I need to use it, so I would like to know if there has been
>> any progress on it.  If not, is it to late to get it into the next
>> release?
>>
> I download and the access floppies from
>
> http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/floppy/access
>
> I ran into problems with them.  First, they didn't come up talking.  I
> have a DECtalk express.  I typed
> linux speakup_synth=dectlk
> to start the boot process.  I got no speech.  When the first floppy
> finished loading, I inserted the root disk.

This is no good sign.  If you are using a hardware speech synth,
speakup should come up talking as soon as the first floppy has
finished loading.

> It seemed to load, but still no speech.  After it stopped, I used
> alt right arrow to switch to console 2.  I then typed echo dectlk
> >/proc/speakup/synth_name The dectalk started to initialize and then
> I lost speech.  I mounted the floppy images after I created them and
> them seemed ok.  For completeness, I used the command
>
> dd bs=1024 if=imagefile of=/dev/fd0
> to create the disks.

Looks fine so far.  What does the speakup hackers community
say about the "starts to speak but fails" thing?

> Now, I have a few questions.  Should I report this to debian-boot?
> Since this is access related and possibly not a general installer problem
> I thought I should start here.

I am not really sure, I guess both lists are appropriate.

> My problem might be floppy drive related, and I can burn CD's, so is it
> possible to get an accessible Debian installer CD?

Of course. Everything is possible, given an appropriate amount
of manpower.

> If there isn't an accessible CD image, what needs to be done to
> create one.

Define the necessary files for a access-cdrom initrd and
include that choice in the isolinux configuration for the CDs.
You'll at first need the debian-installer subversion repository checked
out on your system to create the cd initrd.  When you are done
with that and the initrd seems to work as expected you can either
check out debian-cd and do the integration yourself, or try and find
someone who is willing to do so.

> I'm not a Debian developer, so telling me to upload something isn't
> an option.

You are well aware that "uploading something" is the smallest
part of getting things done.  The real work is to create that "something"
and to make sure it works.  Uploading is just a trivial thing,
and I ensure you, if you've got something worth uploading, I am more
than happy to help you out.

--
CYa,
  Mario