Re: Console Access with Speech, Even During Install?

Kenny Hitt wrote:
have to write a program to do it.
Umm, I believe there's already a digital audio PC speaker driver for Linux. I've even heard there's one for parallel port do it yourself DACs, typical Linux attitude.

Space is limited on an installer disk,
Well not so limited in USB mass storage, zip drives or CD-ROMS.

so software speech is just to large to easily fit.
Aren't there any soft synths for LInux that would be tiny in size? In stead of using human samples, you'd generate all output on the fly synthetically. I know even the C64 had one, and Amiga had fully synthetic speech in WorkBench. On the PC, does anyone else remember Dr. Sbaitso in the good old 8 bit Sound BLaster days? I suppose making a basic synth would be relatively easy. The voice quality doesn't really matter if it is output through the beeper during installation anyway. It would be infinitely cool, though, if it sounded like the vocoder in Kraftwerk's Radio Activity.

Yes, flite uses one of the festival voices.
Can I get any other voices for Flite with apt-get? Would be cool to have some brit and female voices as well. I hope someone adds Finnish some day.

That's probably a good thing.  I used ASAP for years, so my view is
biosed.
Um you ment biassed, didn't you? Then again, I just typed Flight when I ment Flite.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: