Updating the Kernel, Sound Support

Hi list,
Sorry to bother you with yet another newbie question but:
I spawned this new thread strictly about sound support and updating the kernel via apt-get.

By the way, I've just succesfully upgraded from Stable to Testing.

I'm trying to get the sound working for an ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 and have apt-getted the sndconfig tool, which was originally part of RedHat I think. After it has started probing for soundcards, it simply says:

output:
ERROR: No Sound Modules found
You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound
enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the module search path).
To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular
sound, such as the kernel images shipped with Debian Linux or
a 2.2 or greater kernel.
end of output

What does this mean in more detail?

I thought updating the kernel to some version using alsa might help and am also otherwise interested in the 2.6 kernels. So I went ahead and tentatively tried installing a newer kernel. However, the messages I received about Lilo were scary enough to make me want to abort the whole process until I get a definitive answer as to what I should be doing. IF the answer is long and you wouldn't want to re-hash things for yet another newbie, just point me to the relevant doc, howto or post about it and I'll read it through.

Here's how my attempt of updating the kernel looked:

output:
celeron:~# apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Suggested packages:
 kernel-doc-2.6.7 kernel-source-2.6.7
 kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/15.2MB of archives.
After unpacking 44.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 32066 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686 (from .../kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686_2.6.7-2_i3
86.deb) ...

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.6.7-1-686)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
booting).

  As a reminder, in order to configure LILO, you need
  to add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
  stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf

I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader -- please read your
bootloader documentation for details on how to add initrd images.

If you have already done so, and you wish to get rid of this message,
please put
 `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
you'll continue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
image using initrd.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]y
Ok, Aborting
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686_2.6.7-2_
i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686_2.6.7-2_i386.deb
celeron:~#
end of output

I have not even looked at any lilo config file yet but went with the default setting during installation so to speak. I don't even know what's on the lilo menu, I just know that if I type linux console=ttyS0 at bootup, it seems to forward all text to the serial port. I've got 3 partitions: boot, swap and root(?) only. My processor is a Celeron, by the way, as you probably guessed judjing by the above output. I tend to name machines on a LAN basesd on their type, I've got another named T-Bird here also, which is my main music machine.

I think I'm stil running the 2.2 kernel based on the output receied at bootup. How do I check the kernel version? I suppose it should be easy. I've tried apropos kernel as well as Googling for displaying linux kernel version but with no luck so far.

Finally, when I do get the kernel updated, do I have to do any manual configuring to ensure that it keeps the serial console support? I would not want to lose it at this point as accessing the machine through the serial port seems to be the best option I've got currently running. There are no screen readers yet and it is easier and faster to read the output with a familiar Windows screen reader, namely Supernova, than it would be with X-zoom.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: