Re: W00t, It Speaks, One Final Question

>>>>> "Veli-Pekka" == Veli-Pekka Tatila <vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:

    Veli-Pekka> Hi, I'm replying to my own message actually. This is
    Veli-Pekka> tutorial at hand. One final question, though, how can
    Veli-Pekka> I force Debian to continue using the serial port even
    Veli-Pekka> after installation? I'd need to be able to do that
    Veli-Pekka> till I get brltty running or something.

Basically what you want to do is edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and look at
the #kopt line.  You want to add something like console=ttyS0,9600n81.

Mine looks like:

# kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro console=ttyS0,9600n81

Then you want to run update-grub.

So, the big question is how do you do this while still having speech.

You can probably boot the CD into expert mode, mount the hard disk,
chroot into the hard disk and then do this.  If you aren't fairly
familiar with Linux that may be a bit much to ask.

If I had a convenient test environment handy I'd go try that now and
write up detailed instructions.  However I don't have such an
environment and am concerned about getting the details right because
of things like devfs, etc.

Perhaps expert mode allows you to just edit the kernel command line as
you first set up grub.  If so, that would also be cleaner.

You definitely do want to edit the kernel command line rather than
editing inittab as other have suggested.  If you edit inittab you
won't be able to get base-config to speak.