Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
 > I'm still not sure if my ISA sound card, namely Sound Blaster AWE32, was
 > auto-detected and set up during the installation or not. How do I find this
 > out and can I use alsamixer to unmute channels and tweak the gain? I checked
 > that /dev/dsp exists as do dsp1, dsp2 and dsp3 oddly enough.
devicefiles are present yes, this doesn't mena that there are devices
attached to the files.
This would be true if you would be using devfs.
You probably need to install isapnp tools and/or use the isapnp-drivers
fromt eh kernel.
isa-cards are tricky, specially the isapnp once *which AFAIK your card
is).

 > Also, how do I search by package name or description in apt-get without
 > actually installing a package?
dpkg -l <pattern> searches on package-name
you probably can use aptitude for some other options or directly search
the /var/lib/dpkg/available text-file.

 > Though this is not so urgent a problem, I think I'd like to move onto using
 > the 2.4 or even the 2.6 kernel at some point  because of better performance.
 > I won't be posting about kernels here much as this is an accessibility list,
 > but would appreciate pointers to nice howtoes. I wonder if I can get
 > pre-compiled kernel binaries with apt-get.
yes you can. But I find compilign them myself better mostly.
http://www.tldp.org/ has loadfs of documentation including loadfs of
howto's (there is wehre I got you that dos-win-unix howto as well).
There's a kernel-howto too.

 > I didn't check the complete project list yet but I read the page about
 > programming languages. I also started out at age 12, soon turning 21
 > actually, with DOs batches. Later on came Q-Basic and bits of C. I lost
 > interest for some time but during the few recent years have picked up basic
 > C; C plus plus and Java skills. I'm currently also playing around with Perl
 > and BF.
nice :) I skipped the basic-step adn have to learn C now for my studies.
Currently playing around with java rmi (remote method invocation)

 > as I can confirm the sound is working. Umm howabout catting ASCIi text to
 > /dev/dsps does that produce noise similar to playing back Windows binaries
 > as raw PCM?
yeah probably will work.
YOu could also try to find any SUN Audio files (.au) on the web and cat
them to /dev/audio

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/