brltty 3.3 packages

I just installed the new version of brltty yesterday, but I don't always
have my braille display connected. This has never presented a problem
before, but now brltty outputs a failed log message every 5 seconds
which can in just a few days fill up /var. Is there a way aside from
disabling brltty in /etc/init.d to have it loaded and looking for the
display, but suppress the log message? Thanks.
--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.