Re: Installing Debian

Justin Ekis <jekis@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Hi all,

hi,

[...]

> How fesable are these options? I'd like to use one of those so I can
> have the speech and review functions I'm used to. If I remember
> correctly, there's no way right now to run speakup from installation
> media. Correct me if I'm wrong.

floppies were available from linux-speakup web site : you may try them
and say here if it works.  I won't go further with speakup as I've
never used it...

> My other option is to use brltty from the cdrom.

It would be easier to use a prepared flavor of BRLTTY from a floppy --
you can even include it during the boot part (on a dedicated third
floppy).

> I suppose I could try that but I have never used brltty before. I'm
> not even sure it works with my braille display. I have a braille
> lite m20 and the docs only mention earlier models. How well does
> this work?

No idea, but you can test on another distro if you already have one.
I've wrote a little file to explain how to cleanly provide the famous
third floppy with BRLTTY on it : tests have been done with BRLTTY 3.0,
so you may try with this and ask for the paper.  The paper isn't
maintained now, and for different reasons (mainly because of D-I).
However, it still works with current installation process for woody.

> Finally, I just built a custom kernel for my system with speakup. It's
> quite small and very fast. Can
> I just drop that in after installing Debian?

When Debian is installed, you do what you want :-) I suggest you take
the kernel config file into your brand-new sid and then recompile the
kernel with "the debian way" (for pkgs db integrity), but it's up to
you.

I hope it helps

bye
--