Re: Testing DebianEdu

Hi Dashamir,

On  Di 25 Okt 2022 05:22:05 CEST, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 12:24 AM Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
wrote:

I should ask you, whether you know about
IRC and the #debian-edu channel on irc.debian.org?

I know about IRC, but I am against using it, in principle. It never worked
for me in the past anyway.

Ok, that's your personal experience. Half-of-Debian coordinates itself via IRC, so it must be working for most people. It also work very well for me.

Maybe you want to tell me something which you cannot share in the public,
but I'd like to rely only on the information that is available publicly.
Otherwise I don't  see how IRC can be more useful or effective, compared to
other means of communication. With email you have at least the opportunity
to answer months later (after your vacations are over).

IRC is the main communication channel of Debian Edu developers. All short term / fast coordinations take place there (like with many other Debian subprojects).

Locking yourself out by personal attitude is not helpful here. Please reconsider your position.

Also, we post all code changes (happening on GitLab) into the IRC channel, so from IRC you can learn about current Debian Edu development activities.

Saying it once more, 90% of developer coordination is done on #debian-edu IRC (OFTC).

Do you think we should use bookworm?

well, yes, no, maybe ;D

If you are not familar with Debian Edu it's definitly better to first make
you familar with it, using a stable release.

Currently Debian Edu Bookworm is broken though, because of
https://bugs.debian.org/1003694
"gosa: completly broken in bookworm, breaking debian-edu"

This is a strong reason not to use bookwork for learning/training. I found
it difficult even when everything works correctly (in bullseye); with a
broken gosa it would have been impossible for me to learn how to use it.

Indeed. I am currently working on getting GOsa fixed with PHP 8.x. Keep your thumbs pressed.

Fixing that requires someone knowing how to port PHP apps from php 7.4
to 8.x - do you happen to know someone who knows how to do that or has
time and skills to learn this? ;)

Maybe this can be a good project for GSoC. Debian participates there
regularly, so it is almost guaranteed that this project would be accepted.

GSoC -> "S" stands for summer. We need GOsa² to be fixed on Jan 15th (Debian 12 freeze). So, not an option.

As a workaround, is it possible to install in debian-edu the php7.4,
instead of the latest one (or besides it)? This would allow GOsa to work,
until it is fixed.

This is not an option. Debian Edu is 100% Debian, and we will certainly not depend on the previous PHP version for Debian Edu 12. The solution is to go forwards, not backwards.

I have to install many web applications on my server and they all have
conflicting requirements about the tools that they use and their versions
(for example one of them needs php7.4 and another needs php8.x). For this
reason I install each of them in a Docker container, so that they can be
isolated from each-other, and they don't step on the toes of each-other.
I am not sure whether using Docker containers in DebianEdu is an option. If
it was, I might try to containerize GOsa, so that its old dependencies
don't affect the rest of the system.

You can try to containerize GOsa², but this will not be a solution for the Debian Edu 12 release. GOsa² needs to be installed natively on top of a Debian 12 system probably coming with PHP 8.2 (currently in prep).

Regards,
Dashamir

Greets,
Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31