Re: Booting Kernel on Amiga 3000

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:42 AM Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Sep 07 2022, Finn Thain wrote:

> >> That's not the reason why it crashed.
> >
> > Maybe. It would be nice if the oops message offered us the fault address
> > like it used to, instead of "Unable to handle kernel access at virtual
> > address (ptrval)".
>
> I think it's the faddr=0ffffff4.

Which matches

    data = (char *)initrd_end - BOOTCONFIG_MAGIC_LEN;

in init/main.c:get_boot_config_from_initrd(), the function identified
by Finn before.

So if the initrd is stored at the end of motherboard RAM:

    initrd: 0783283d - 08000000

The code

    memcmp(data, BOOTCONFIG_MAGIC, BOOTCONFIG_MAGIC_LEN)

works.  When the initrd is stored at the end of WarpEngine RAM:

    initrd: 0f7f81c2 - 10000000

it crashes, probably because it is not mapped.

According to

    Initmem setup node 0 [mem 0x000000000a000000-0x000000000fffffff]

the memory should be mapped, shouldn't it?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds