Re: Booting Kernel on Amiga 3000

Am 03.09.2022 um 02:24 schrieb Stephen Walsh <vk3heg@vk3heg.net>:

> I have "Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid" installed on both Qemu-user and
> real hardware.
> Amiga 3000
> Warpengine 68040@40Mhz
> 128Mb ram on warpengine

Uhm? How do you get the Warpengine with 128MB into an A3000? Usually there is not enough space on the Warpengine for 4x 32 MB SIMMs - or did you use 2x 64MB ones or 4x single sided 32 MB SIMM with two additional sockets?

> Real hardware issue:
>
> Booting kernel/inintrid 5.15.0-2 works and the machine boots all the
> way.
>
> Trying to boot with kernel/initrid 5.18.0-1 through to 5.18.0-4 results
> in a grey screen and the machine doing nothing after amiboot loads in
> the kernel. I have  left it for 20 minutes with no change. Booting
> 5.15.0-2 starts showing the boot process after a couple of minutes.
>

> amiboot -k vmlinux-5.15.0-2-m68k -r initrd.img-5.15.0-2-m68k
> root=/dev/sda2 fb=false
>
> When trying the newer kernel's, all I'm doing is replacing the
> kernel/initrid with the newer versions.

https://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody/ refers to „debug=mem“ and „dmesg“ afterwards:

Append "debug=mem" to your boot line and run dmesg under AOS after a reboot. Please read the readme file.) and send the output to the appropriate list.

https://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/misc/dmesg.readme

Does this still work in newer kernels? Otherwise it would also be possible to use debug=ser if you have a serial (null modem) cable.

--
Ciao...          //    Web: http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP/Jabber:       ij@jhookipa.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc