Re: Booting Kernel on Amiga 3000

On Sun, 4 Sep 2022, Stephen Walsh wrote:

> > What happens if you boot the known-good initrd (v5.15) with the
> > crashy vmlinux binary (v5.18)?
>
> > The combination won't boot normally but should fail normally (wrong
> > modules) and not fail with an oops.
>
> It still crashes, but I can see the process.

OK. I assume that it was the initrd change that prevented the oops and not
the addition of ignore_loglevel.

Your results suggest to me that the problem was triggered by the growth of
the initrd between v5.15 and v5.18.

My guess is that the bootloader made use of the 8 MB memory chunk which
was later discarded by the kernel.

[ 0.000000] Ignoring memory chunk at 0x7800000:0x800000 before the first chunk

This may actually be a bootloader bug, i.e. memory chunks not in the
correct sequence (?).

Anyway, I agree with Ingo, this problem has to do with memory layout
and/or bootloader behaviour and the way to avoid it is probably a memfile.

As I have no experience with booting Linux on Amigas I can't be of much
more help unfortunately. So I'll stop guessing and leave this to the Amiga
experts.

Regards,
Finn