RE: Kernel 5.15 Amiga PCMCIA apne driver not working

Hi Michael,

From: Michael Schmitz <schmitzmic@gmail.com>
Sent: sábado, 1 de enero de 2022 23:36
> I was under the impression that you could (cross-)build your own kernel
> and initrd? If that's not an option, testing is going to be much harder.

I am afraid not, I am building Debian Installer kernel images and initrd from Aranym following the building instructions here [1]. If there is documentation for installing a cross-compiler toolchain I will gladly give a try.

> > In [2] there is a function called ne2000_detect_8bit() that is used
> for that. It looks like it reads the card ROM to figure out. I don't
> know if the CIS is considered a ROM or not.
>
> No, that only figures out what mode is set in the 8390 chip - AFAIK
> needed to support NE1000 type cards. With 16 bit NE2000 type cards, you
> can still use 8 bit IO to access the chip, which is what the 10 Mbit
> cards supported by the apne driver do. 100 Mbit cards need 16 bit IO.

I see. I seemed to me that useword var controlled the IO size and there was a part on the code where it assumed 16 bit, but later call the ne2000_detect_8bit() to determine if useword should be kept to 8 bit. Again, I am not familiar with this :)
---------------
	/* not an NE1000 - try NE2000 */

	/* try 16 bit mode first */
	useword = 1;

#ifdef NE2000_DETECT_8BIT
	/*
	 * Check bus type in EEPROM first because some NE2000 compatible wedges
	 * on 16 bit DMA access if the chip is configured in 8 bit mode.
	 */
	if (ne2000_detect_8bit(nict, nich, asict, asich))
		useword = 0;
#endif

> I'll have to create another patch to look for mem resources in the CIS
> data, and get that tested on the already supported cards. Then use that
> for new cards.

I will be glad to test on real hardware, provided I have some means to build a kernel and an initrd that allows me at least to boot a BusyBox :)

Regards,
Carlos

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/

Carlos Milán Figueredo | HispaMSX System Operator | http://www.hispamsx.org | telnet://bbs.hispamsx.org | https://calnus.com