RE: Kernel 5.15 Amiga PCMCIA apne driver not working

Hi Michael, happy new year!

From: Michael Schmitz <schmitzmic@gmail.com>
Sent: viernes, 31 de diciembre de 2021 8:51
> Thanks, I'll check the prefix size and send a patch by PM.

I will need also some help for testing it, as I do not have a Linux working install on my Amiga because I need hd-media initrd and network support :) I am able to boot a kernel with an initrd.

> Doesn't print the ring buffer addresses - might need a patch to the BSD
> source to do that (I haven't looked at BSD source in over 20 years). Or
> maybe some equivalent of ethtool reports the addresses, or they show up
> in ifconfig output?

I am afraid ifconfig doesn't print anything about the ring buffer, and -to my knowledge- there is not equivalent ethtool.

> But what I meant is to check whether the ne driver source hard-codes the
> ring buffer addresses for these cards?

Maybe we can know by taking a look to the NetBSD driver source code? I think it is located on the following files:

 1. Gayle PCMCIA driver [1].
 2. ne2000.c [2], ne2000reg.h [3], ne2000var.h [4]
 3. dp8390reg.h [5], dp8390var.h [6]

I don't have the needed knowledge about the NE2000 driver or the kernel, but to my untrained eye it doesn't look like there is anything hardcoded for these cards.

> There's a patch of mine floating around that uses CIS data to figure out
> 8 or 16 bit IO width (submitted to linux-m68k and netdev a while ago).
> With that one applied, dumping the CIS data and hand-parsing the result
> might be one way to obtain the necessary data.

In [2] there is a function called ne2000_detect_8bit() that is used for that. It looks like it reads the card ROM to figure out. I don't know if the CIS is considered a ROM or not.

[1] http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/gayle_pcmcia.c?rev=1.34&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
[2] http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/ne2000.c?rev=1.77&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
[3] http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/ne2000reg.h?rev=1.3.8.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
[4] http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/ne2000var.h?rev=1.27.30.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup