Re: hd-media initrd not working on Amiga

Hi Carlos,

Stefan with Carsten showed me this trick during last m68k meeting back in 2018 at Essen.

On the harddrive/cf card simply write the content of the iSO file to some partition.
You can use swap partition - only it will be rewritten during the fist actual boot of Linux.

You can do it virtually on anything which understands Amiga partitioning of that drive.

dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=512 status=progress

During the meeting we actual used Stefan's beautiful Falcon running Debian :)

Fire up the amiboot

During the setup there will be error as CD-ROM not detected.
Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media - YES
Manually select a CD-ROM module and device - YES
Module needed for accessing the CD-ROM: none
Device file for accessing the CD-ROM: /dev/hda2

It worked like a charm.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 2:36 AM Finn Thain <fthain@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2021, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > I think this procedure will be hard for most Amiga users. It would be
> > better if this could be done from AmigaOS. Is it possible to provide
> > in the hd-media image support for mounting AFFS partitions so the ISO
> > can be placed there?
>
> Yes, there is also an affs-modules kernel modules package [1] we can
> just add.

Please also add modules for common Apple MacOS and Atari TOS filesystems
where that's feasible.