Re: Legacy IDE to be removed

My issue with the retirement of legacy IDE isn't technical. Two of the
systems that I use are a PowerBook Wallstreet and a PowerBook 3400c.
Both of these laptops have internal IDE drives, an external SCSI port,
and require BootX to boot into Linux. BootX wants explicit specification
of the root device (e.g. /dev/sda4, /dev/hda4, etc.). With libata, the
disk drive names change depending on what is connected to the SCSI port.
I'm aware that I can use "UUID=" or "LABEL=" in /etc/fstab, but that
naming convention doesn't work with BootX. So using BootX will become
more complicated depending on connected SCSI devices, if any.

Even in Linux, it can be convenient (at least for me) to have /dev/hda
and /dev/hdb internal disks and, if connected, /dev/sdX external disk(s).

-Stan Johnson