Re: udev and friends not able to mount Atari GEMDOS partition

Hi Emmanuel,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 9:42 AM Emmanuel Kasper <manu@debian.org> wrote:
> Le 08/09/2020 à 23:25, Brad Boyer a écrit :

> >> udev is about devices, not filesystems. Just use above mount command to
> >> mount it (given the kernel has support for it, either built in or as a
> >> module). If you want udev to create a more convenient name for
> >> /dev/mmcblk0, you need to write a rule for it.
> >
> > That almost sounds like libblkid isn't recognizing the FS. Can you try
> > running blkid on the device? If it can't detect the FS type, that might
> > be a place where there is an issue. The libblkid code is not based on
> > the drivers in the kernel, but is still essential for a portion of the
> > auto-detection of file systems in user-space.
>
> Indeed blkid does not recognize the FS type, thanks for the hint !
>
> sudo blkid -p /dev/mmcblk0p1
> /dev/mmcblk0p1: PART_ENTRY_SCHEME="atari" PART_ENTRY_TYPE="BGM"
> PART_ENTRY_NUMBER="1" PART_ENTRY_OFFSET="2" PART_ENTRY_SIZE="131072"
> PART_ENTRY_DISK="179:256"
>
> I suppose this is because the Atari GEMDOS FAT16 partitions have a
> variable sector size wich is larger that 512 bytes for partitions >
> 16MB, whereas MSDOS FAT16 always uses a 512 bytes sectorsize .

Note that we still have a few out-of-tree kernel patches for Atari FAT
support as well, cfr. the top 3 commits of
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git/log/?h=m68k-queue

Needs some love from a knowledgeable person to send this upstream...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds