Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On 6/13/19 12:13 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
> The timeout problem I was referring to has come up before on m68k systems.
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2016/06/msg00000.html
>
> I don't claim that systemd is "slow". It's just that it does a lot of work
> that's not needed on small systems. If it was more modular, like the
> kernel, all of that extra functionality wouldn't be a burden. Instead, to
> run systemd at all, I had to actually enable extra kernel modules, which
> just adds to the bloat problem.
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2016/02/msg00064.html

You can mask services you don't need. It's just that Debian's systemd is
using a fully fledged setup by default given the fact it's more designed
for larger systems. We don't have a custom systemd package for m68k
as that would mean we would get out of sync with the rest of Debian.

But again, just turn off what you don't need and systemd is fast.

> While I do think alternatives to systemd should be encouraged, I don't
> expect the Debian project to provide them. Adding alternatives can only
> lead to more work for all debian maintainers whose packages interact with
> those alternatives. That seems like a huge amount of effort compared with
> a small number of users running Debian on small systems like these.

You don't need alternatives to systemd. Just configure systemd towards your
needs.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz