Re: Fwd: Re: Debian on mac68k

On Mon, 30 May 2016, I wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2016, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>

> > You can just install the m68k cross-toolchain in Debian
> > testing/unstable, then download the kernel sources or ask Finn to
> > provide you with the sources he has and then build the kernel with
> > CONFIG_FHANDLE.
>
> That kernel already has CONFIG_FHANDLE=y. (The config file is included
> in the download.)
>
> I guess I'll have to set up a recent dpo system to figure this out.

I downloaded the dpo filesystem from
https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/chroots/

$ md5sum unstable-m68k-20150315.tar.gz
155e2e983d8364f471061bff45c0c5b0  unstable-m68k-20150315.tar.gz

This information seems to be missing from wiki.debian.org (which seems to
have only broken links to root filesystem downloads elsewhere).

To populate the SD card root partition, I used the following commands:

# mkfs.ext2 -N 524288 /dev/sdX6
# mount /dev/sdX6 /mnt/tmp/
# tar -zf unstable-m68k-20150315.tar.gz --strip-components 1 -C /mnt/tmp/ -xp --numeric-owner
# umount /mnt/tmp

Then I moved the SD card to the Mac LC III and used Penguin to boot the
same kernel build that Stefen and I discussed, with the kernel parameters
"console=ttyS0 root=/dev/sda6".

Like Stefan, I found that the serial console works intermittently.
Sometimes it boots fine e.g.

[  OK  ] Found device /dev/ttyS0.
         Starting Serial Getty on ttyS0...
[  OK  ] Started Serial Getty on ttyS0.

But at other times I see instead,

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-ttyS0.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyS0.

When I compare the entire boot logs, the udev output is shifted slightly
which suggests that systemd is racing with udev. I suspect that /dev/ttyS0
sometimes appears too late.

I figured this was probably a known bug so I tried 'apt-get update'
but it doesn't work (eventual bus error or seg fault).

And I'm getting "Failed to execute operation: Connection timed out" from
systemctl, and other systemd weirdness like a shutdown hang.

I also tried to fetch ntpdate_4.2.8p7+dfsg-4_m68k.deb but wget fails with
"Read error at byte 0/63850 (Invalid argument)".

Next up I will have to try to build an equivalent Atari kernel and test
the same filesystem on Aranym, or else somehow try to fetch and install a
Debian kernel on this 68030 system.

Adrian, if you debootstrap and publish a more up-to-date root filesystem,
I suggest that /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/apt/sources.list should use
Google DNS and ftp.ports.debian.org respectively.