Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

    Ian> Charles Plessy writes ("Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc
    Ian> development task"):
    >> given the reminders that Debian refrains from paying developers
    >> for their time, I wonder if it would still be possible to make a
    >> small contribution that expresses Debian's interest and sympathy
    >> to your goal, with the hope that our name will help the
    >> crowdfunding effort.  Something on a scale that would allow us to
    >> answer positively to similar requests without putting a
    >> significant burden on our finances... Maybe $100 ?  This is the
    >> same amount as what Debian is willing to reimburse for travel
    >> costs to bug-squashing parties, for instance.

    Ian> I think this would be a good idea.  (And I speak as one of the
    Ian> strongest opponents of Dunc-Tank.)

One area where we could clearly show support is by offering to purchase
hardware for someone doing the work.
We have a longstanding practice of helping Debian developers get the
hardware they need to enable their work.  (I don't think that would
extend to paying standard prices for  a s390 system; while IBM claims
mainframes are more affordable than ever before, I'm reasonably sure
that doesn't mean affordable on our scales).
It certainly would include m68k hardware.

Had I been asked for m68k hardware in this instance, I don't think I
would have even blinked before approving the request.

--Sam