Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Am 05.12.2018 um 09:27 schrieb Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>:
>> A proper test machine would be an A3000 or A4000 (or T variant),
>> equipped with a Zorro II expansion card that contains Zorro II RAM
>> (e.g. a combined SCSI/memory expansion card).
> I should still have a GVP Series-II SCSI controller with 8M RAM (my first
> expansion card, perhaps I can still find the huge 100MB disk I bought with
> it).  I do also have an A3000, but this machine has no expansion card, ie
> only the built 030 CPU, 1(?)MB RAM, no harddisk, no NIC, ... so no Z-II RAM?
> But if we would place this card in crest or kullervo, we'd have a suitable
> test machine?

About the NIC: just buy an X-Surf100. That’s the easy part. ;)

About ZIII RAM: I still should have a spare BRP available for that purpose of a porter box. But then again it would be a slow memory (12 MB/s vs. >60 MB/s), so the biggest problem is to get a 060 card, which are quite expensive on Ebay, but there are some cards on auction at the moment:

- GVP G-Force 040 for A3000: https://www.ebay.de/itm/GVP-G-Force-3040-fur-Amiga-3000/163410730541
- Cyberstorm PPC/060: https://www.ebay.de/itm/AMIGA-Phase-5-CyberStorm-PPC-233MHz-mit-Rev-6-68060-und-128MB-RAM-TOP/202523892233

The GVP card might be cheaper, but it is only a 040 and I think you’ll need expensive, special GVP memory modules whereas the Cyberstorm already comes with 128 MB PS/2 memory, but will rise in cost for that auction.
Sometimes you can even buy ZIP-TO-DIMM adaptors on Ebay, but I’m not sure about that, because of the fragile nature of ZIP chip legs…

About ZII memory… I still might have a ZII card with some memory on it, but memory with <5 MB/s bandwidth? Come on...!! ;)

About disk: there is the Budda IDE card for quite a few bugs: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/buddha-ide.html :

I still need to re-install Arrakis/Spice. @Adrian: do you have a fresh installation image for me or is that one from the meeting in Essen still good?
--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net