Re: historic m68k meeting video

Hi Christian,

(note: Cc to debconf-video@ added)

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 06:01:54PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Hi,
> some of you may remember that we had an m68k meeting in Kiel 10 years (and
> one month) ago. I recorded the public talks of Wouter (debian secrets) and
> Joey (debian administration) and some of the m68k discussions and I stumbled
> upon the tapes this week. So I finally captured the video, it helps to have
> larger disks than 10 years ago.

Heh, right :-)

> The video is obviously not HD, the audio volume is pretty low
> (especially of the m68k part), definetely not up to debconf video
> standards.

We can fix audio levels easily.

> I wonder if anybody of the participants of that meeting is interested
> in that video.

I think it makes sense to have them. Obviously much of it will be
outdated by now, but sometimes it can still be useful to refer to "this
is how we did things before". And it definitely was a Debian-related
event, so...

Note though: there already is an encoded version of the "mk68k future"
meeting that we had at the time in the DebConf video archive, under
<https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2008/m68k-meeting-kiel/>.
The other two events are not there, however.

> I would have to convert this DV to mpeg to cut down the
> size to something reasonable (any suggestions for ffmpeg options?)

Probably best to use VP9 rather than MPEG then.

Try this:

First, cut the video into different files, one for each target output
file you'd like to create. You can do that with, say, kdenlive, or you
can use ffmpeg for that too:

ffmpeg -ss <start time> -t <video length> -i foo.dv -c:v copy -c:a copy
output.dv

where <start time> is the time from the start of the file, in
(optionally fractional) seconds, where the content starts, and
<video length> is the length of the event, again in (fractional)
seconds, of the target video.

Then, run the following three steps on each file:

- First pass video encode:

ffmpeg -i foo.dv -c:v libvpx-vp9 -c:a libopus -b:v 750 -minrate 375
-maxrate 1088 -crf 33 -tile-columns 1 -threads 4 -quality good -pass 1
-speed 4 -y <output>.webm

- Audio normalize:

ffmpeg -i foo.dv -c:a copy -y foo.wav
bs1770gain -a -o $(pwd) foo.wav
# the second command creates a "foo.flac" with normalized audio levels,
# so they're easier to hear

- Second pass video encode:

ffmpeg -i foo.dv -i foo.flac -c:v libvpx-vp9 -c:a libopus -b:v 750
-minrate 375 -maxrate 1088 -crf 33 -tile-columns 1 -threads 4 -quality
good -pass 2 -speed 4 -map 0:v -map 1:a <output>.webm

If you care more about not using too many cores than about encoding
speed, drop the "-tile-columns 1 -threads 4" bit of each ffmpeg command
line to have a single-threaded encode instead of running at 4 threads.

Note, the numbers are optimized for SD video. If you're trying to encode
HD video, you'll need to update them. Google has some pretty good
documentation on how to do that at
https://developers.google.com/media/vp9/

> before I could put it somewhere for download.

Once you've done the above, I'd be happy to put them up at
video.debian.net...

Alternatively, if you have the bandwidth, we can simply upload the .dv
file to vittoria.debian.org (the encoder machine for Debconf video), and
then I can throw everything through SReview which can do all of the
above (and more!) for you.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab