Re: moving affs + RDB partition support to staging?

Hi,

On 05/06/2018 03:10 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On May 6, 2018, at 1:52 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
On 05/06/2018 01:12 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Al Viro - 06.05.18, 02:59:
Funny, that...  I'd been going through the damn thing for the
last week or so; open-by-fhandle/nfs export support is completely
buggered.  And as for the rest... the least said about the error
handling, the better - something like rename() hitting an IO
error (read one) can not only screw the on-disk data into the
ground, it can do seriously bad things to kernel data structures.

Is there anything resembling fsck for that thing, BTW?  Nevermind
the repairs, just the validity checks would be nice...
I am not aware of the fsck command for affs on Linux. There is a
partitioning tool called amiga-fdisk, but for checking a filesystem you
would need to use a tool under AmigaOS.

So, it should be made read-only FS, until the problems are
fixed (and there's linux-native FS consistency checker)?

No, it shouldn’t.

Read-only mode should be enough for the data rescue purposes
mentioned in the list.

I meant read-only by default...

This is for the second usecase I mentioned. The first usecase requires write access.

...So anybody wanting to do writes with it, would need to enable
that him/herself and read warnings about it being unsafe and
about the importance of doing backups before enabling/using it.

(Similarly to NTFS support, before its write side was stable.)

Again, it works fine for our usecases in Debian m68k,
so please don’t mutilate its functionality.

Based on above comments, that's only by luck.  I'd assume
disks still having AFFS on them to be fairly old and therefore
rather likely to get IO errors.  Moving new files on the disk
is likely to involve file renames for the old ones.

	- Eero