Re: Debian installer image for Debian/m68k

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 10/06/2017 03:36 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
> > I see there is code to copy some files that don't exist in any debian
> > package. This code should be copying macbinary files, not hqx or hfs
> > files. That is why I sent you those macbinary files to add to
> > m68kboot. (Please refer to email messages of September 2nd and 3rd.)
>
> I'm confused. Didn't you say back then that the files are there and
> usable on the Debian Sarge installation media?

There's no contradiction. Binhex (.hqx) is usable if you can unpack it (at
best inconvenient). OTOH, Macbinary should get decoded by $MKISOFS and
that makes it ideal. This is the only reason I can see why the debian-cd
package in fact creates a hybrid ISO for m68k.

> My idea was to first just upload the "penguin" package [1] to
> "unreleased" and then rebuild the CD image. I assume that should restore
> the Debian Sarge setup.

I was not aware of the Penguin_19-3 deb. But it doesn't change what I
wrote about the sarge ISO, etch-m68k ISO, or the different solutions.

> > All the old files should be dropped. The hfs floppy image is even less
> > useful than hqx, because no utility to deal with floppy images is
> > bundled with MacOS. The $MKISOFS invocations in the debian-cd package
> > for creating hybrid m68k and powerpc installers will detect macbinary
> > but not hqx files (see -probe option in the man page).
>
> Well. I think it's still a sensible idea to create the floppy image if
> there are tools generally available to write those to floppies.

In the end I did figure out the reason why the penguin.hfs image exists:
it is there so that you can create a Mac floppy disk using a Linux PC with
a floppy drive. It's only useful for installing Debian on a Mac which has
no network connection, but I guess there is some value in it.

But there's no value in PenguinColors. According to Penguin.doc from the
Sarge ISO, these CLUT resources were incorporated into Penguin-16. ResEdit
confirms that Penguin-19 also contains these resources.

The point about $MKISOFS remains: the binhex files (.hqx) should be
converted to macbinary (which is why I sent you the macbinary files). But
perhaps we should just provide both formats instead of dropping the hqx
files entirely?