Re: falconide not registering device nodes

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm currently polishing debian-installer on m68k [1]. For that, I'm
> testing on various emulators like qemu-m68k and Aranym. Testing on the
> latter revealed a problem with falconide, namely device nodes not
> being created under /dev meaning the cdrom-detect module in debian-installer
> won't be able to find the CD-ROM drive [2].
>

>From the similarity between the q40ide, macide and faldonide drivers, it
seems likely that all are affected.

Did you confirm that the falconide module was actually loaded?

Do the device nodes appear in devtmpfs (before udevd starts)?

After udevd starts, udevadm might shed some light.

> Can anyone give me a hint what might be missing here? Do we need to
> implement modlias_show and _hotplug [3,4] for falconide [5] or are we
> missing something else?

Probably something else. There is already a .uevent method with a call to
add_uevent_var() in drivers/ide/ide.c.