v4.1.43 test build is available, was Re: Seeking Mac testers

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017, Stefan Niestegge wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> we tested this kernel today on a Performa 450 (aka LC3)
> ADB works nice, dmesg shows that the kernel detected our
> network card (Nubus Slot E, Mac LC Ethernet Adapter, Board_ID 0x2e)
> Its an "Asante" card, but ifconfig shows only loopback device.
>
> The modules had been unpacked beforehand.
> Is this expected behaviour?

I'm unsure what sort of network card you have there, but I may have found
an explanation for the regression you reported.

It turns out that the mac8390 and mac89x0 drivers will not probe for
devices unless the driver is a loadable module.

So in the latest build (v4.1.43) I've configured these two drivers as
modules. You can find the binaries on sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-mac68k/files/

You'll need to unpack the tar file and load the mac8390 and mac89x0
modules manually (or automatically via /etc/modprobe.conf or similar).

[The other NIC drivers (macsonic and macmace) remain built in to this
kernel binary as that allows you to avoid using an initrd and still boot
over NFS.]

This bug needs to be fixed, but it requires that someone implement kernel
device model support for Nubus.

BTW, this should not be a problem for the kernel packages that Debian
builds, in which all NIC drivers are modular.

HTH...