Re: gcc-4.6.3, was Re: Debian on mac68k

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 11/06/2016 11:22 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
>
> >> In Debian, we have up-to-date versions of the gcc cross-toolchain for
> >> all target architectures we have in Debian,
> >
> > Some years ago, for Debian users, I added links to those tools here:
> > http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/cross-dev.php
> >
> > But I suspect that this information is no longer current. It may give
> > the impression that Debian m68k cross-compilers are unavailable. Do
> > you have any better sources of information that I could link to?
>
> If you're on Debian Stretch or newer, you can just install everything
> directly from the regular package archives, very convenient:
>
> $ apt install gcc-m68k-linux-gnu g++-m68k-linux-gnu binutils-m68k-linux-gnu

Nice. More widely useful might be a docker image or some other portable
app container offering these packages. That's not a criticism of Debian,
just a reflection of upstream development practices.

> >> so I think there is little incentive to use these old compilers.
> >
> > It is useful for upstream developers to have distro-neutral tools.
> > Ideally, we could use the kernel.org compiler as a "reference
> > compiler". For automated builds, it seems to be that already. But
> > no-one boots those binaries AFAIK.
>
> The problem with the toolchain on kernel.org seems that it's not updated
> very often if at all.

Updating gcc in this case may or may not fix the crash. I fixed it by
downgrading gcc, but even that result can't be taken to imply a compiler
"bug", just a change in behaviour in gcc-4.6.3 which may even benefit
someone somewhere.

Updating needlessly makes fault-finding more difficult, as witnessed by
the effort required to isolate the "kernel BUG" regression earlier in this
thread.

Dependable tools are more important to me than new tools. YMMV.