Re: Debian on mac68k (LC III)

On 11/3/16 8:30 PM, Finn Thain wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2016, Mac User wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the md5fl link; I had been using FTP from NCSA Telnet 2.6 to
>> transfer files, but one of the kernels didn't transfer properly, so now
>> I'll know to just use AppleTalk (and verify checksums).
>
> For FTP, I get good results from Fetch 3.0.3.
>   https://www.sfsu.edu/ftp/mac/ftp/fetch303.hqx
>
> But it needs some tuning (edit bookmarks, max. buffer size, default to
> binary, no post-processing...)

Thanks, I'll give Fetch a try.

>> Unfortunately, there was no change:
>>
>> 1) 10/25/2016 - "vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+"
>> ABCFGHIJK
>> Linux version 4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+ (fthain@nippy) (gcc version 4.6.3
>> (GCC) ) #2 Tue Oct 25 13:37:53 AEDT 2016
>> Saving 402 bytes of bootinfo
>> bootconsole [debug0] enabled
>> Detected Macintosh model: 27
>> VIA1 at 50f00000 is a 6522 or clone
>> VIA2 at 50f26000 is an RBV
>>
>> 2) 11/02/2016 - "vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+"
>> ABCFGHIJK
>> Linux version 4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+ (fthain@nippy) (gcc version 4.6.3
>> (GCC) ) #1 Wed Nov 2 13:09:32 AEDT 2016
>> Saving 402 bytes of bootinfo
>> bootconsole [debug0] enabled
>> Detected Macintosh model: 27
>> VIA1 at 50f00000 is a 6522 or clone
>> VIA2 at 50f26000 is an RBV
>>
>> Let me know of anything else to try...
>
> Thanks!
>
> The problem here is my Egret patch, which seems to be causing a hang at
> find_via_cuda(). Until we get past that, we have no way of knowing whether
> the .config changes have fixed the other issue, "kernel BUG at
> block/deadline-iosched.c".
>
> If you could log in at the serial console then you wouldn't need ADB, and
> I could drop the Egret patch for the moment and move on to fixing that
> BUG.
>
> To get a login prompt on the serial console, if you are using Debian 3,
> you'd need to edit /etc/inittab and un-comment the getty for ttyS0, then
> run,
> # telinit q

Yes, I can log in at a serial console, but of course it's more
convenient to use the ADB keyboard and not have to boot another
system to be a terminal. I'm currently running a getty on ttyS0.

For your testing, I'm ok logging in at a serial console if you
want to work on the "kernel BUG at block/deadline-iosched.c:332!".

-Stan