Re: Debian on mac68k (LC III)

On 11/2/16 12:54 AM, Finn Thain wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2016, Mac User wrote:
>

>> Here is the result booting 4.1.35-mac_scsi+ on an LC III with extensions
>> off and Penguin configured to set serial ports to 38400, 8 bits, no
>> parity, and the following boot command line:
>>
>> root=/dev/sda8 console=ttyS0 earlyprintk
>
> Have these settings eliminated the intermittent hang at "ABCFGHIJK" that
> you reported?

No, but I think booting with extensions off might have fixed it.

>> After several tries, the traceback is always truncated, regardless of
>> how flow control is set. If it would be helpful, I can capture it with a
>> camera and attach as an MP4 file.
>
> This regression is a bit like another one I'm debugging. I can't explain
> them except that both appeared when I changed the compiler and the
> .config. So I've prepared another build. This time, with
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y and CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y.
>
> https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/stan/20161102/vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+
> https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/stan/20161102/linux-m68k-image-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+.tar.gz
>
> SHA1
> ee32e353db94860f7b3ae747d2c4aa6e4a1ee65e  vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+
> 71edd89b968c03ca8e0e9aa331ceb3221307ab22  linux-m68k-image-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+.tar.gz
>
> I hope this one works better...

On the LC III, the new kernel (compressed and uncompressed) hangs
consistently at the ABCFGHIJK screen. I tried increasing Penguin's
memory to 34000, still hangs. Adding earlyprintk as an option also
didn't work, there are a few lines after ABCFGHIJK, then it stops:

ABCFGHIJK
Linux version 4.1.35-mac_scsi+ (fthain@nippy) (gcc version 4.6.3 (GCC) )
#1 Tue6
Saving 402 bytes of bootinfo