Re: Debian on mac68k (Mac IIfx update)

On 10/24/16 10:34 PM, Finn Thain wrote:

>> Hi Stan and Stefan,
>
> Hi, Finn!
>
>> I uploaded a new build anyway, with both the mac_scsi and egret patches:
>> https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/stan/vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+
>> https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/stan/linux-m68k-image-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+.tar.gz

Update on Mac IIfx...

My Mac IIfx works with "vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+" using
my Debian 3.1 filesystems and boot scripts (I'll do a clean
install when there's a new release). After switching to a
Farallon EtherMac II-C card (needed so A/UX would work),
stock Debian 3.1 (with Linux kernel 2.2.25) hung in the boot
process after initializing the Farallon EtherMac II-C card;
the mac8390 module must have been updated since 2.2.25.

For the official Debian release, I would find it helpful to
include the kernel option that sets the date in the kernel
before mounting filesystems; at first boot,
vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+ took a long time to check
all the filesystems (thinking they hadn't been checked in
thousands of days).

I'll send an updated crash report for the LC III soon.

I'm reading with interest the messages regarding mac68k
SCSI. Alhough most of it is going over my head at this
point, I'd be happy to help with any testing; I have these
systems available:

1) IIfx (32MB, Farallon EtherMac II-C, Radius 24x video)
2) LC III (36 MB, Farallon EtherMac LC-TP, built-in video)
3) Centris 650 (136 MB, Sonic ethernet, built-in video)
4) 660av (68MB, built-in ethernet, built-in video)
5) SE/30 (128MB, Farallon ethernet, possible flaky SCSI)

Is there a preferred HOWTO or other documentation to learn
more about mac68k SCSI? I realize some of it (such as IIfx
SCSI) isn't documented very well.

-Stan