Re: Debian on mac68k (LC III)

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016, Mac User wrote:

> > > Penguin options:
> > >   root=/dev/sda3 console=ttyS0 nologo
> > > Serial: blank (I tried setting serial ports to 9600 baud,
> > >   1 stop bit, no parity -- didn't work. I learned through
> > >   trial and error that the kernel communicates at 38400
> > >   baud regardless of serial settings).
> >
> > As soon as the ttyS0 console starts, the pmac_zilog driver will switch
> > speed to whatever you asked for on the kernel command line. E.g.
> > "console=ttyS0,9600n8"
> >
> > If you use "earlyprintk", the Mac early serial console uses 38400
> > baud. (This also applies to the output of the initial "ABCFGHIJK"
> > message.) This speed isn't configurable. It uses 38400 only because
> > the pmac_zilog (ttyS0) serial driver defaults to 38400 baud when it
> > starts up later on.
> >
> > The framebuffer console (tty0) uses macfb, which is worse than 9600
> > baud, so I tend to leave that disabled and use the ttyS0 default.
> >
> > Since you are using a serial console, it is wise to preconfigure the
> > serial ports in Penguin. The benefit of doing this depends on the Mac
> > model but it never hurts and could potentially avoid an unhandled
> > interrupt.
> >

> ok, I only had "console-ttyS0" on the command line; I'll try
> "console=ttyS0,38400n8" and "earlyprintk", as well as configuring
> the serial ports in Penguin.

"console=ttyS0,38400n8" is equivalent to "console=ttyS0" for this
particular serial driver (pmac_zilog). So I wouldn't change that part of
your kernel command line. I'd just add "earlyprintk" to try to get some
kernel messages leading up to the crash. If you then pre-configure the
serial port in Penguin, the crash may go away entirely, which might be an
interesting result too.