RE: Current Debian m68k in Amiga

> Adrian.

Sorry, I got confused with your email display name.

> I *think* I have that particular model and it works, but I don't remember anymore.
> I don't know at the moment where I put it :).

I will try and report it back then :)

> I don't think it's necessarily a tough work. It's just something someone
> has to do which involves some time and therefore should pay off anyhow.
> The problem is that there aren't too many potential users for this, so
> investing all that work would likely end up in code that not many users will
> actually use.

Sad but true, I agree with that.

> I'm one of the DDs involved, Geert is one of the kernel developers,
> for example. Most of us are on this list.

Good to know. I'll take the chance to say a big thank you all of you say that, there are many people in the shadows -like me until now- that uses and values so much the work you are doing with the architecture. Getting a current operating system running in the Motorola CPUs is really remarkable.  I myself am doing the tests with a 68030, that is way slower than a 060.

> Here: https://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage?action=newaccount
> The wiki pages for the m68k port can be found here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/M68k

Ok! I will play a bit with the debootstrap and the toolchain a bit.

>> Is there any toolkit that would allow me to cross-compile the kernel
>> and packages for m68k from a x86 machine? My Amiga is just a 68030/25
>> and it could take days to do the job :)

> I think you misunderstood. You don't need to compile anything as Debian
> is a binary distribution and all packages are already precompiled for the
> end user.

Yup, I misunderstood :)

> (vm)debootstrap is a tool that allows to install a minimal Debian system
> and currently the only way to install the m68k version of Debian.

> After the machine has booted up, you run "deboostrap/debootstrap --second-stage"
> to trigger stage2 and configure the newly created chroot.

Nice!

> Now, with vmdebbootstrap you can actually run *both* stage1 *and*
> stage2 on your x86 PC as it uses qemu to run all the target code in a a
> CPU emulator. This requires that your target platform is supported by
> qemu which is the case for m68k.

VERY nice!

> However, I haven't tried vmdeboostrap yet which is why it would be
> nice whether someone could actually test it and document it somewhere.
> This should dramatically increase the bootstrapping process and make
> it easier as well.

I will give a try this weekend!

> There is no such thing as a bootstrap repository for debootstrap as the
> tool uses the normal package repositories. m68k is in Debian unstable
> (ports archive) and can be accesses using the known methods (APT and so on).

> You can debootstrap a fresh m68k chroot any time with:

> $ debootstrap --foreign --arch=m68k unstable mychroot \
>  ftp://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian

> But, as I said, this just generates a stage1 chroot which still needs stage2
> to be run once on the target system. With vmdeboostrap, you should be
> able to avoid the second step though.

I will give a try and report back here!

Thank you so much for your answers.

Greets,