Re: Current Debian m68k in Amiga

On 08/26/2015 08:43 PM, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
> Thanks for the answers John!

Adrian.

> I knew about the list. Shortly I expect to get into my hands a D-Link DE-660+ for testing it. In the list it says "should" in both, Linux and NetBSD.

I *think* I have that particular model and it works, but I don't
remember anymore. I don't know at the moment where I put it :).

> It must be a very tough work. It is suspicious NetBSD/amiga is in the same status regarding the PCMCIA. Considering NetBSD supports Amiga hardware better than Linux, this is a bit suspicious.

I don't think it's necessarily a tough work. It's just something
someone has to do which involves some time and therefore should
pay off anyhow. The problem is that there aren't too many potential
users for this, so investing all that work would likely end up
in code that not many users will actually use.

>> The port is still maintained by a couple of fear- and restless kernel and
>> Debian developers as well as several other valuable contributors.
>
> Our heroes :)

I'm one of the DDs involved, Geert is one of the kernel developers,
for example. Most of us are on this list.

>> If you want to help and don't want to code, you can start writing a detailed
>> installation guide, preferably with screenshots which shows the installation
>> of Debian/m68k on the Amiga step-by-step.
>
> Nice, how do I get writing permissions on the wiki?

Here: https://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage?action=newaccount

The wiki pages for the m68k port can be found here:
https://wiki.debian.org/M68k

>> A good idea would also be to test whether you can create a fully
>> bootable chroot with the help of vmdebootstrap which does not
>> require stage 2 of the debootstrap process to be run on the m68k machine,
>> see: https://wiki.debian.org/vmdebootstrap
>
> Is there any toolkit that would allow me to cross-compile the kernel and packages for m68k from a x86 machine? My Amiga is just a 68030/25 and it could take days to do the job :)

I think you misunderstood. You don't need to compile anything as Debian
is a binary distribution and all packages are already precompiled for
the end user.

(vm)debootstrap is a tool that allows to install a minimal Debian system
and currently the only way to install the m68k version of Debian.

> And talking about vmdebootstrap, by the documentation I don't get clearly what are the debootstrap stages (took a look https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap and http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?sektion=8&query=debootstrap&apropos=0&manpath=sid&locale=en).

stage1 is when the Debian packages are downloaded, copied and unpacked
into your new chroot. stage2 is when the packages are configured. As
stage2 requires package scripts and commands to be run, it normally
needs to be run on the target system, in this case an m68k computer,
while stage1 can be run on any machine which can execute deboostrap.

In order to save time, you can run deboostrap on your normal x86
PC with the --foreign --arch=m68k parameters and thus run the stage1
processes on the fast computer. Then you boot your m68k computer
with the chroot system with "init=/bin/bash" on the command line.

After the machine has booted up, you run "deboostrap/debootstrap
--second-stage" to trigger stage2 and configure the newly created
chroot.

Now, with vmdebbootstrap you can actually run *both* stage1 *and*
stage2 on your x86 PC as it uses qemu to run all the target code
in a a CPU emulator. This requires that your target platform is
supported by qemu which is the case for m68k.

However, I haven't tried vmdeboostrap yet which is why it would
be nice whether someone could actually test it and document it
somewhere. This should dramatically increase the bootstrapping
process and make it easier as well.

> Is there any sid m68k working repository for debootstrapping it?

There is no such thing as a bootstrap repository for debootstrap
as the tool uses the normal package repositories. m68k is in
Debian unstable (ports archive) and can be accesses using the
known methods (APT and so on).

You can debootstrap a fresh m68k chroot any time with:

$ debootstrap --foreign --arch=m68k unstable mychroot \
  ftp://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian

But, as I said, this just generates a stage1 chroot which still
needs stage2 to be run once on the target system. With vmdeboostrap,
you should be able to avoid the second step though.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz