Re: Current Debian m68k in Amiga

On 08/25/2015 08:35 PM, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
> Recently, I got into this thread
> http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65146 from Mr. Glaubitz
> that explained how to install a recent Debian release on the Amiga.
> Later, he published at http://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/chroots/
> m68k-ready kernel images of version 3.16, as well as tarballs of the
> root filesystem; I was impressed to see a 3.16 m68k version.

Glad this thread was helpful to someone. Writing a new, more
comprehensive guide into the Debian Wiki is still on my TODO list :).

> ·         Does someone know the root password for the tarballs? I can
> only enter the system in single-user mode and passwd is not working there.

That should be root/root, i.e. the password for "root" is "root".
Otherwise, you can just add "init=/bin/bash" to the command line
in the amiboot configuration to boot the machine directly into a
bash shell once, then set the password for root using the "password"
command.

> ·         I’m currently stuck because I have no PCMCIA card for Amiga
> that works with Linux/m68k. Actually I’m looking for one that works with
> the three: cnet.device, Linux/m68k, NetBSD/amiga. Do you know if there
> is somewhere I can find that?

Yes, those are very hard to find. Here's a list which shows which
models are compatible and which are not:

> http://www.g-mb.de/pcmcia_e.html

It took my quite a while to find a compatible one. This is attributed
to the fact that the Linux kernel uses a different PCMCIA stack on
the Amiga as compared to standard x86 PCs which means that most PCMCIA
drivers the Linux kernel support unfortunately don't work on the
Amiga running Linux.

Someone with enough time needs to port the modern and common PCMCIA
stack of the Linux kernel to the Amiga.

> ·         What is the current status of the Debian m68k port? It was sad
> that the official support was dropped, but I can understand why. Is
> there any way to help? (although I have basics skills with C, by no
> means I’m a C coder).

The port is still maintained by a couple of fear- and restless kernel
and Debian developers as well as several other valuable contributors.

The m68k port sees more activity than the sh4 (SuperH) or SPARC ports
of Debian, for example. So it's actually pretty active.

If you want to help and don't want to code, you can start writing
a detailed installation guide, preferably with screenshots which
shows the installation of Debian/m68k on the Amiga step-by-step.

A good idea would also be to test whether you can create a fully
bootable chroot with the help of vmdebootstrap which does not require
stage 2 of the debootstrap process to be run on the m68k machine,
see: https://wiki.debian.org/vmdebootstrap

Cheers,
Adrian

--