Re: Macintosh Quadra 950 Not Booting

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
> wrote:
> >> I installed MacsBug in hopes of finding something useful in __log_buf
> >> on reboot, but the entire buffer is empty (zeros). I'd suspect the
> >> bootloader is at fault, but Penguin successfully boots a 4.0.0 kernel
> >> on my SE/30. Penguin log is attached, in case anyone's interested.
> >
> > I don't know anything about __log_buf. I suspect you'd need to avoid
> > the POST memory test for that to work.
>
> It's the internal buffer for printk():
>
> kernel/printk/printk.c:static char __log_buf[__LOG_BUF_LEN] ...

Right, thanks. If I run this,

$ m68k-linux-gnu-readelf -a boot/vmlinux-4.1.4-mac | grep __log_buf
  1723: 003286c8 16384 OBJECT  LOCAL  DEFAULT   10 __log_buf

I can see that it has address 0x003286c8 and length 16384 bytes. I believe
this is the physical address. But I have no idea whether it will show up
in MacsBug at that address.

If it could be located easily and if it did not get clobbered (entirely or
partially) by the ROM or by MacOS, it could be very useful at times.