Re: Fwd: Macintosh Quadra 950 Not Booting

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015, Greg Andrzejewski wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 12:43 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>
> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Greg Andrzejewski wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > After finally getting my Mac SE/30 working again, I set about trying
> > > to get a modern version of Linux installed on the little fellow.
> > > Early experiments with 3.14 kernels were successful
> >
> > BTW, are you using mac_scsi on the SE/30?
> >

> I've just been grabbing kernel images from the Debian ports archive, so
> I think so.

If convenient sometime, can you send me the dmesg output (or
/var/log/kern.log) from your SE/30?

> 3.14 kernels would panic with a bus error on bootup unless I disabled
> pseudo DMA, but I'm thinking that might be a hardware issue with my
> machine.

Probably not a hardware issue -- mac_scsi always did that.

> I had to solder a few jumper wires on the motherboard to repair damage
> from leaking capacitors around the video/audio circuitry. Never really
> had any problems with SCSI in MacOS, but I cleaned a lot of capacitor
> goo from around the NCR chip, so sometimes I wonder. Linux gets very
> upset if I have anything attached to the external SCSI port

Also likely to be a mac_scsi issue if MacOS works OK with that setup.

> and MacOS bombed out yesterday copying files to a zip disk, so it's
> probably something I'm going to need to address in the future.
>
> FWIW, the pseudo DMA problems have gone away for me in the 4.0 kernels,
> by which I mean I no longer have to pass mac5380=-1,-1,-1,-1,0 on the
> command line. I've been meaning to check if there was a fix or if pseudo
> DMA is just disabled by default now.

Right. I disabled PDMA by default as part of a patch that went into v3.19
because I've never seen it work properly on any Mac. (Some LC and Classic
models will need v4.0 or later because of commit 2e874d178c9e.)

But PIO is horribly slow. I have a bunch of unfinished mac_scsi patches
that I hope to return to. The PDMA bug is one that I'd really like to fix.

> > If you would like, I can send you a current kernel binary that should
> > boot any Mac (that is, SE/30 or Quadra 950).
> >

> Yeah, that'd be great. I think the most recent kernel I was able to boot
> was 2.6.29 or something that I found online.

I've uploaded a kernel binary here,

https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/gregta/vmlinux-4.1.3-mac
https://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/gregta/linux-m68k-image-4.1.3-mac.tar.gz

SHA1
48b6c18792479a6d9886151c0457675df36b8678  vmlinux-4.1.3-mac
9140852171bdf0a9a5e9b8d0cd28530dca5697eb  linux-m68k-image-4.1.3-mac.tar.gz

I'm afraid I haven't tested it, and I don't have much reason to believe
that it will work better than gunzip'd vmlinuz-4.0.0-2-m68k. The tar file
has some modules but you probably won't need them.

> Just tried with decompressed kernel from the debian ports repository and
> extensions disabled. Same behavior :-(

Well, I was not expecting that. I would double-check the obvious, if you
didn't already. That is, check that you selected the right kernel binary
and confirm no gunzipping in the log as Penguin boots it.