Re: Improving the Aranym image

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz dixit:

>used X forwarding to start Aranym on a big server and tried to get
>the output show on my laptop. It remained in the Aranym splash
>screen and never changed. Apparently X forwarding doesn't work properly
>with Aranym.

Ah. That’s an SDL issue. X forwarding is sucky. Use VNC, although
you can’t use the local console with that.

Haven’t tried RDP. It’s said to handle keycodes better than VNC.
Maybe that could work.

Otherwise, just initialise the images locally (set the hostname,
add some entropy, change the root password, a-g i openssh-server)
then rsync them over.

>I used the latest Aranym version from unstable and followed your
>instructions [1], step by step. I am pretty sure you need to use

Hm, these should work.

>brctl as well as shown here [2].

Absolutely not! The example instructions use a routed network
with masquerading for outgoing connections, not bridged. You
can use bridged, but then you have to change /e/n/i in the
image to use 'inet dhcp' (can be done after booted).

>We just need to make sure, networking works 100% when just following
>the instructions from [1].

Normally WFM. I’ll retry as soon as I get time and local access
to a Debian machine capable of doing it.

>Well, Aranym is mainly for testing and developing purposes and not for
>setting up your super important file server. And paranoid people
>shouldn't be using emulators anyway :).

Meh; buildds shouldn’t be “contaminated” either. I make sure of
that for mine and what I consider contamination – the chroots do
not have a trace of stuff not in Debian, for example.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
<igli> exceptions: a truly awful implementation of quite a nice idea.
<igli> just about the worst way you could do something like that, afaic.