Re: Improving the Aranym image

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz dixit:

>I neither get a working video console through X nor do I get a
>working networking setup. All that works is setting the SDL

I booted it, and I got somewhere at least. X doesn’t work, sure.
I’ll retry it tomorrow.

>The network setup fails with:
>
>[....] Configuring network interfaces...Cannot find device "eth0"
>Failed to bring up eth0.

Eh? WFM… I’ll have a look. Meanwhile, post your ARAnyM version
and how you invoked it.

>Can we work on improving this a bit? The goal should be that people
>can just download the image, follow the instructions and get a working
>Linux m68k machine which works out-of-the-box so they can setup buildds,
>for example.

This used to work with the 2012-Apr image, and AFAICT also the
current one. If not, I’ll nachbesser, of course.

>Does anyone know how I can convince Aranym to start a getty on the
>nfcon device? I tried passing kernel command line parameters as well as

Not possible, nfcon is one direction only (parallel printer).

The console is not usable over VNC, so the only possible solution
for remote/headless ARAnyM is to use SSH exclusively. (Yes, there
is no sshd in the image. Yes, this is by design – it needs entropy;
while I could provide some, that would neither be pure Debian, nor
would it be considered reliable by paranoid people.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of