Re: The BigRAMPlus works - Re: kullervo with bigram

Hi Adrian,

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Important side note: We can no longer reproduce this particular crash.

Good to hear that!

> All we get now is a CPU soft-lockup which goes away when using a memfile
> to either exclude the BigRAMPlus ~256 MB from 0x40000000 _or_ the
> accelerator's on-board memory ~128 MB from 0x07000000.
>
> Thus, the memfile to run Linux in the accelerator's memory is:
>
> 2097152
> 0x07000000 134217728
>
> and the memfile for running the kernel in the BigRAMPlus:
>
> 2097152
> 0x40000000 268435456
>
> Both seem to work fine so far. Activating both regions will lead
> to a soft-lockup right after the message "Freeing unused kernel
> memory", using them mutually exclusively works.

So this indicates that there's probably a bug in the page table setup
code, manifesting itself on systems with lots of RAM, or a big gap in
between the memory blocks.

> Furthermore, we just wanted to use the BigRAMPlus as a swap device
> now following Ingo's description [1]. Unfortunately, CONFIG_MTD
> is not set in the current Debian m68k kernel and we therefore
> can't use it.
>
> Any chance we can activate that?

Build your own kernel?

But I think a real block device driver would perform better.
drivers/block/ps3vram.c would be a good example.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds