Re: meeting planning

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 06:21:12PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> On 01/15/2015 06:11 PM, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>> > I don't think that an IDE disk that is set up as an SCSI disk will work when
>> > it is used as a pure IDE disk again. crest does have a SCSI disk, but last I
>> > tried Linux would not boot from it (missing kernel driver, I think). Thats
>> > why I put in a loaned IDE disk.
>>
>> I think you misunderstood. It's a real SCSI->IDE bridge that actually
>> turns an IDE drive into a real SCSI drive. There are no software
>> dependencies involved, it acts like a real SCSI drive. And when you
>> remove the adapter, it's a normal IDE drive again.
>
> I know, I bought a couple of those, crest and kullervo each have one.
> But when you partition the disk as SCSI disk, you can create partitions 1,
> 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever you choose. If you partition as IDE, don't have to

What is "partition as IDE"?

> create primary and secondary partitions if you want more than 4 partitions?
> Does that map from SCSI partitioning to using as IDE disk?

This sounds like you partitioned the disk using an Amiga partition tool
(which writes RDB) on the IDE disk, and used MS-DOS partitioning (which
has this primary/secondary thing) on the SCSI disk?

Partitioning is orthogonal to the interface. Both IDE and SCSI use linear
addressing these days.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds