Macintosh 630 IDE drive and problems finding it

I am using what is essentially a Quadra 630 to boot linux. I am able to boot from old kernel ram-disk pairs, and the newer 3.14 kernel seems to work, until it tries to locate the root partition (which is on /dev/hda9 , boot parameters being root=/dev/hda9 devtmpfs.mount=1) and then it has a nice kernel panic -- not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

Booting with the same parameters from the older 2.6.21 kernel, it lists hda in the boot sequence (and the 1-9 partitions), followed by the same error (No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 hfsplus hfs) \n Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(3,9))

When booting from the 2.6.21 kernel with a ram disk, it shows hda in bootup, but nowhere in /dev, suggesting to me that these kernels have been built without IDE support? Is my best bet to rebuild the kernel with the appropriate modules builtin?

Thanks guys

Best,

Jesse Osiecki